SPECIALIZED TESTS

RADON GAS

ALBERTA HAS A LOT OF RADON!


In Calgary alone it’s estimated  1 in 7 homes have high levels of Radon Gas.   Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It comes from the natural decay of uranium located in the Earth’s soil. The gas moves up through the ground and enters your home by way of tiny cracks in the foundation or through well water. Once inside it mixes with the air and enters your lungs. 


Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths.    


THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE BEING EXPOSED TO RADON IN YOUR HOME IS TO HAVE IT TESTED.


 We can provide the test results in one week.   

MOLD

There are many types of mold and its found on many different surfaces.   It  reproduces by means of microscopic, airborne spores.


Outdoors molds break down dead organic materials, but indoors they are potentially toxic.


Exposure to mold by inhaling or touching spores can cause allergic reactions as well as irritation to lungs, eyes, skin, nose and throat. 


If you suspect you have mold, don't wait and let it spread.   Get it tested and get rid of it.

ASBESTOS and VERMICULITE

Thousands of North Americans die each year from asbestos related lung diseases.  Asbestos has been used for years / decades in building materials, paper products, plastics and other products.  Over the years some companies manufactured vermiculite insulation for attics.  On it's own vermiculite is not an issue but some companies added asbestos to it.  Exposure to asbestos mainly occurs indoors when it's released into the air from these materials. If you think you may have asbestos, be safe and get it tested.  It can be found in:


Some roofing and siding shingles;  Houses built between 1930 and 1950 often used asbestos as insulation;  Textured paint and  patching compounds used on wall and ceiling joints. (their use was banned in 1977); Artificial ashes and embers sold for us in gas-fired fireplaces; Older stove-top pads; Walls and floors around wood burning stoves may be protected with absbestos paper, millboard or cement sheets

LEAD

 In 1978 U.S. Federal regulations placed a limit on the amount of lead that could be put into paint sold for residential use due to health factors.  Homes built prior to 1978 have a much greater chance of containing lead based paint and the related health hazards of the lead. The older the home the great the chance and the more important to have it tested.

FIRE and SMOKE

 Testing can be done in your home for residues (char, black carbon, soot and ash) that may have been contaminated from smoke, fire, candles or other combustion sources.  These residues / contaminates  can lead to health issues for the occupants. If you are concerned that you may have any of these fire or smoke related residues we can test for them. 

SMOKING and DRUGS

Several different types of drugs, including tobacco smoke, marijuana and meth are all things we can test your home for. Illegal Meth labs have been found in everything from hotel rooms and recreational vehicles to apartments and homes.  During the production of meth, these places easily become contaminated with a number of hazardous chemicals that infiltrate carpeting, wallboard, ceiling tiles, furniture, and fabrics that absorb spilled or vaporized chemicals.  These chemicals pose a significant health risk.